Gabrielle d'Estrees, 1594

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lysteda Commercial




Every time I turn on the TV, I see that commercial for the medication “Lysteda”.  For those of you that aren’t familiar with the medication, its modern medicine’s answer to the “heavy monthly bleeding” epidemic that plagues so many women today (catch that sarcasm?)  But its not so much the medication that interests me as the commercial itself.  First of all, I want to give a “hats off” to the brilliant advertisers who work in the business of period commercials (that’s not sarcasm.) These people are truly some of the brightest minds of our generation. Think about it… They’ve been given the difficult task of coming up TV friendly ways to show…bum bum bum… period blood!  And I have to admit, I’ve seen some great metaphors for menstrual bleeding over the years: a wrapped gift, a woman with flaming red hair… even a blood red punctuation mark.  But I have to give this Lysteda commercial credit for something a little different.

The commercial features a woman walking down the street and some red rose petals begin to rain on her.  As she keeps walking, the rose petals seem to start falling harder on her. Call me immature, but I crack up every time I see this commercial.  Ladies, imagine if every time we had a heavy cycle we would be burdened with a trail of blood red flowers following us…Sounds like a horror movie. 

Being a Film and Television Grad, my mind sometimes comes up with alternative ways to do commercials like these. I know if I had the chance to direct one, I would pull some inspiration from The Shining… you know… blood rushing out of some elevator doors and knocking some poor woman to the ground. Now that says “heavy flow!” better than some falling rose petals.




1 comment: